Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words spirit and/or specter, totaling up to 150 lines in length including stanza breaks, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PDT on October 20th. No PDF's please. Color and B&W artwork are also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Spirits and Specters will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, October 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Thursday, October 19, 2023

Lori Wall-Holloway

Library Mystery


So many choices sit

on a bookshelf full

of titles before me

But which one will give

the explanations

I am searching for

 

Alone in the aisle

at the public library

I peruse back covers

of paperbacks

which leave me with

more questions about

the meaning of the crazy

dreams that consume

my brain while sleeping

 

I reach for a promising

hardcover, when my left

hand suddenly begins

to tremble uncontrollably

 

Shocked, I immediately

pull back in confusion

and look around to see

if anyone saw what happened

before I try to take the book

off the shelf again

 

My hand shakes violently


 

Unsure of what took place

I test whatever is forcefully

holding me back by repeatedly

moving towards the particular

volume, only to be stopped

each time

 

Now to make a choice

Do I push against whatever

is stopping me and grab

the forbidden object or take

something different altogether

 

Baffled over the mystery

I decide to check out

another interpretation

book for answers

 

With the incident impressed

in my memory, I believe

God sent an unseen angel 

to protect and push

a vulnerable me away

from a dark path waiting

to swallow me in misery

after the collapse

of my first marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal

Ghosted I do not know  what language the spirits speak. Their simple words are not that easy to hear. They are mute  and ghosted in this hau...