Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words spirit and/or specter, totaling up to 150 lines in length including stanza breaks, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PDT on October 20th. No PDF's please. Color and B&W artwork are also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Spirits and Specters will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, October 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Friday, October 20, 2023

Caleb Delos-Santos

 What is a Specter?

 

I turned to Google

(the Twenty-first Century’s

collective electric dictionary)

to see what specter means.

I scrolled through a few

explanatory possibilities

until I found one

that interested me.

 

Some tinier websites

(not the Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

describe a specter as:

 

any object of fear.

 

This definition’s specific

yet equally general phrasing

strangely

intrigues me.

 

It makes me think:

Really? Anything

can be a specter

if I find it scary?

 

As a scattered graduate student,

I am mainly afraid

of papers.

 

Once assigned,

they slowly begin to quietly float

beside my mind.

 

While dangling around my thinking,

these papers soon begin to sing eerily.

Their harmonizing eventually

becomes sirening and screeching,

which only increases in frequency

until I finally reach

the life-bringing

deadline.

 

As a new husband,
I am mainly afraid

of children.

 

My future kids,

these amazing,

beautiful,

and new possibilities,

these exciting

hypothetical beings,

parade in my dreams

and simultaneously

loom over my sleep.

 

At night, I often find myself

wide awake, thinking:

 

What kind of father will I be?

Will I repeat the failings

of my ancestry?

Will I keep the history

of their victories?

Will my children

become

my righteous legacy?

 

As a young man,

I am mainly afraid of

myself.

 

Each day,

I think about

this patriarchy

and my position in

inequality.

 

I ponder my informed

risk and ability

to freely kill and conquer

everyone and everything.

 

I worry about my

supposedly innate capability

to become more evil than anything.

 

My dangerous potentiality

hangs over me

daily.

 

Are all of these things

(papers, babies, and me)

truly

specters?

 

Well,

I definitely won’t say

with certainty,

 

but

I know one thing:

 

they certainly

 

scare me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal

Ghosted I do not know  what language the spirits speak. Their simple words are not that easy to hear. They are mute  and ghosted in this hau...