Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words spirit and/or specter, totaling up to 150 lines in length including stanza breaks, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PDT on October 20th. No PDF's please. Color and B&W artwork are also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Spirits and Specters will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, October 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Joe Grieco

EULOGY INSTRUCTIONS


Try to fit my eulogy on the backside of St. Jude’s holy card.

Tell them I worked insincerely, though often impossibly hard.

Talk a little about my wealth, made by trading old books for hope and youth.

 

If the lion was unhappy, that was not my fault.

I barely knew the lion.

 

See if anyone applauds the story how I pissed off God.

He had me in a strangle hold

And yet, I kept my soul.

 

Inspire the mourners, get up off your asses, that sort of thing, let’s make some noise.

Hold up high my Runner-Up trophies.

Belt out the song “Everything’s Coming Up Roses.”

Make everybody sing along.

 

Close with this memoriam:

When you see a moth berserk against a candle flame,

It’s just my specter spinning.

It’s the unheard thunder of a new beginning.

It’s desire trying to catch fire.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal

Ghosted I do not know  what language the spirits speak. Their simple words are not that easy to hear. They are mute  and ghosted in this hau...