Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words spirit and/or specter, totaling up to 150 lines in length including stanza breaks, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PDT on October 20th. No PDF's please. Color and B&W artwork are also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Spirits and Specters will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, October 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Jackie Chou

Screen Doors


Mystery lurks 

behind rattling doors

Silhouettes swing 

on rice paper screens

Are they spirits of the undead?

Their voices have become my own

inhabiting the air I breathe

shadows I cannot shed




Specters at the Rosemead Community Center


I was once a girl,

warm-cheeked,

hands soft to the touch.


You'd ask me to dance,

and I'd sway and swirl

to the push and pull

of your arms.


Now there is no wind,

no shadow,

no rays of strobe light

on the floor.


Nor is there a sequin,

a bead,

a strip of chiffon

from somebody's dress,

a fallen crystal

from a tiara.


There is no footprint,

no glitter 

from shoes,

just my memories 

of father, mother,

older sister,

attending parties 

together,

their faces

glowing in my heart

like specters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal

Ghosted I do not know  what language the spirits speak. Their simple words are not that easy to hear. They are mute  and ghosted in this hau...