Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words spirit and/or specter, totaling up to 150 lines in length including stanza breaks, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PDT on October 20th. No PDF's please. Color and B&W artwork are also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Spirits and Specters will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, October 21st between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

CLS Sandoval

Fed Up 


It was the last time he would hit me.  I told him as much.  I had taken his punches and endured his bruises for decades.  I was through telling myself that this was what I deserved.  He left in a huff for work this morning.  That’s when I started making my plan to put an end to his ongoing abuse.  He always expected his dinner ready and warm after work.  Tonight, I didn’t disappoint him.  Even put a little something extra in his portion. 


He said it was good 

He faded with every bite 

Those pills were perfect 




Just Outside 


Footprints left outside 

She doesn’t believe in ghosts 

But the door’s ajar 

 



Late Night Swim 


Deep in the water, I decided to open my eyes.  They always told me that these waters were enchanted.  I was hoping to catch a glimpse of a mermaid or a siren, but instead, some kind of monster started chasing me.  I had a moment to take a breath from the surface when my foot caught on it.  It was either this deep-water thing or the current pulling me down.  I struggled and splashed until I realized I was wasting my breath, being pulled down. 


Nothing enchanted 

No, not that kind of magic 

More like angler fish 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal

Ghosted I do not know  what language the spirits speak. Their simple words are not that easy to hear. They are mute  and ghosted in this hau...